Things I want in a job
|Description||A list of things I want to look for when applying for a job.|
At this point in my life, my thoughts about work change. The world is weird, spending a lot of time at your job is too. There needs to be more than just “oh yea it’s work” for it to good.
Then I found this list from Lynn Fisher. It feels right, so I sat down and created my own.
- More than just selling a product. It should feel like it’s offering something for the user.
- User-facing product, which emphasises UX and the good of the user
- Has a good frontend-part, that adheres to my frontend ideas
- Push for good work quality without being pedantic
- A salary, that covers my needs so much, I don’t have to think too much about it each month, while still being generous.
- Allows me to work from home
- Room for me to express my thoughts and ideas and have them valued
- At least one sparring partner for ideas, ideally a team of people who are good at what they do and are open for discussions
- A smallish team / company, so everything is more personal and less bureaucratic
- A team that enjoys each other and has fun, too
- As few of the “these are our great company benefits (it’s a fruit basket)” as possible
- Feel like my time is valued. Both when I work and when I don’t
- A team that ships work often
- Leaders that share their vision and act in the interest of both their employees and users
- Consistent and transparent decisions
- Allow room for challenging ideas without spending too much time on discussing everything. Some things just need to be decided and done
- Few meetings, used effectively
- Allow for personal development
- Trust in employees’ expertise
- Share success in a meaningful way
- Work that requires creativity
- Work that offers variety
- Work that makes me get up and be excited for work